Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hexagon Table Makeover

Hexagon Table Makeover!
$5 - Drab to Fab - Remember how I found this guy at a yard sale last weekend?
BEFORE:
Boring right? Well, I had fun plans for this funky table!
I love the detail on the front of this cabinet table, but it looks overall dated... I love the hidden storage too!
We needed a coffee table, and wanted something that would fit right in our living room that is arranged at an angle, hence one of the reasons I chose this table with all the angles!
 I also wanted a fun pop of soft color, so here is the AFTER! :) 

I love the way it adds a splash of color without being to overwhelming. I'm pretty happy with the outcome!

I had so much fun working with the glaze on this project, giving it that aged beauty. 
First I sanded it down and removed the hardware
It's a messy dirty job but somebodies gotta do it! ;)
I chose this soft teal blue color from the designs in our rug, they look so pretty together!  
I used a dark esspresso colored glaze, that stuff is so much fun to work with! It makes everything look more glamourous... how boring would this piece be if it was just a solid color?
Next we spray painted the knob with a metalic oil rubbed bronze to give it new life! I may be a little obsessed with this stuff... we also painted the gold old handles on our entertainment center this color too. 
That stuff saved me a bunch of $$, rather than buying new knobs just because I hated the color... we simply changed them. And it is super durable too!

Family approved! ;)
Trash to treasure...this was a fun project! I'm sure you'll be seeing more soon....
 

6 comments:

  1. do you paint first and then sand a little more before you glaze? and did you seal it with anything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the unique shape of this piece. You did an amazing job with the makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That was quick! I love the glaze too. Great job Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw the starter piece, I confess, I just didn't have enough imagination to know how to update it...but YOU did! Good work Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather- that looks fabulous! Such a unique shaped peice, I love it! I picked up a coffee table the other day that I'm thinking about turning into and ottoman, I might be borrowing some of your painting ideas for it :)
    Fabulous job.
    Lady S xox
    ~www.ladyinresidence.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this coffee table transformation. As soon as I saw it I found myself as a little girl playing my parents living room. What vision you have to see its potential! And the color you chose was perfect. Thanks for inspiring.

    ReplyDelete